This is your chance to own an ANSI-modified, thoroughly cleaned IBM PC AT buckling spring over capacitive PCB keyboard from 30 years ago, converted to USB with Soarer’s converter. The spacebar actuation force mod has been made as well.
Please check out the home page to review all of the features and specifications of the Brand New Model F Keyboards.
As a note, this mod requires the use of Soarer’s converter (included in this listing and fully set up already) in order for all of the keys to work. Many enjoy these Model F keyboards because of their superior typing feel compared to other keyboards. They have a pleasant sound in part from a much larger pivot plate at the end of a buckling spring as it clicks and directly contacts a capacitive PCB. With the later, cost-cutting Model M design, the buckling spring pivot plates are much smaller and hit a rubber mat on top of some plastic membrane sheets. This, along with the PC AT keyboards having been made for just a few years compared with Model M’s that were made for decades, is why these IBM Model F PC AT keyboards command a premium for the premium typing experience they provide.
1. Thoroughly refurbished and in great vintage condition – keyboard and inner frame assembly were opened up to clean everything, including the capacitive PCB surface inside. Each key, the barrel frames, and the metal plate underneath the keys were hand cleaned. Every key was tested multiple times after cleaning and putting everything back together.
2. Adjusted to better match ANSI or the standard Model M layout – not a perfect match but close. This is a fully reversible process that involves opening up the inner frame assembly, moving one spring and pivot plate to another barrel, and replacing the Enter, Backspace, | \, F, J, and left shift keys with those from a standard-style IBM Model M keyboard, while also including the three needed stabilizers. The F and J Model M keys were added because the original PC AT F and J keys do not have the “nubs.” The other keys are all original and the original controller is intact and has not been replaced. All the original keys removed from this mod plus the original curly keyboard cable will be included so you can fully reverse this mod to bring it back to original operating condition if you so choose. The key “Sys Req” has been remapped to the Print Screen key and the Scroll Lock key has been remapped to the “/ “ number pad key. I can also switch the Alt and Ctrl keys upon request. You can adjust all of these remappings by reading Soarer’s converter documentation.
3. The “Spacebar mod” was performed to reduce the actuation force of the PC AT space bar, in order to make it more close to that of the Model M. This involved disassembling the inner assembly and gently adjusting the “bend” of the spacebar’s wire stabilizer to make it less extreme.
4. USB converted with Soarer’s converter – just plug in the USB cable and start using the keyboard (a $15 to $20 value) – this is included in this listing, along with the pictured USB cable. Firmware has been loaded and keys have been programmed. So you can be up and running with this keyboard in no time :). Buyer has a choice – I can either leave the Soarer protected inside the keyboard as pictured (the simplest and most elegant solution IMO), or if you really like the look of the original curly cable to be connected to the keyboard I can connect the original cable to the PC AT and then connect the AVR running Soarer’s converter to the original cable – no extra charge for either option. The USB cable has been strain relieved inside the PC AT keyboard – tied to one of the posts – so that a strong pull on the cable will not damage the Teensy-compatible ATMEGA32U4 AVR inside.
5. Shows signs of usage and wear including scuffs in the plastic, and has some rust on the metal plates which is characteristic of virtually every Model F I own. As this computer component is around 30 years old, no warranty is offered.
6. You will get the a similar condition unit to the pictured one.